Pages

Saturday 24 May 2008

.....lost in the translation.......

I had been planning on doing a short write up on the local fishing harbour. That's after I get round to the Empress Market story.
But today I went to work as usual, realizing I needed to add a short "Alan in Karachi' feature.
Well it was a usual day in the fact that I went to work but it turned out not a completely normal day. You know that feeling when you get up in the morning and you just know that somehow things are not going to be straight forward. Well I had that feeling. You're never sure just what it is, or when that 'thing' will happen, but, when it does you know.
Well that 'thing' just happened for me. Lunch time came along and I asked for my usual "peas with chilli and nan bread"!! You know, same stuff as yesterday and the day before. "Yes Sir, no problem" said Sham Gee Sana. (right in picture). Sham, our tea boy has been buying this stuff for me on a daily basis for over a couple of months. So easy thing to do. Rizvan our office boy, who had been listening to this exchange, very quickly joined in to show off his linguistic skills. He repeated my request in Urdu so Sham was double clear what was required.

So very simple
Peas with chilli and nan bread
turned into..............

Cheese with chilli sauce and bread and nan
If you can work that out? Let me know. Time for me to go home and put my feet up and watch the TV, maybe even have a toasted cheese sandwich. There's a thought. Why didn't I think of that for lunch?

No comments:

The secret to "Success" ..... is never, never, give up trying.