Pages

Wednesday 24 October 2007

I’m back. Well till Christmas at least!!!!

I told you in my last posting I was off to Thailand for a few days. Well I got back last night. Great trip. Caught up with Wanna and managed to get up to Khon Kaen and see her family etc. We were at a loose end on Saturday so decided to go to Laos. Yes pop over the boarded for a look. Well it was all a bit like a cross channel trip for duty free really. We all got sorted out, me bring a non Asean country had to organize a visa. However that was easy as the folks up there have it well sorted. So a 3 hour trip to Laos. Crossed the mighty Mekong River. Did not get the T shirt but got a stamp in my Passport!!!

Got back to Khon Kaen same evening about 10.00 pm. Just in time for a cold beer and settle down to the rugby. Started at 2.00am but the sports channel was rugby rugby rugby till then. What a disappointment. Anyway that’s life, someone had to win, but why the other side ?? #$%^&

Sunday saw us going down to Bangkok as I had set up a meeting with my friend and financial advisor ‘Khun’ Roger the following morning. Small world, we shared an apartment in Sai Gon for about 6 months, that was over 6 years ago. Then during our chatting he tells me Jessica was over there as well (Hi Jess!!). Anyway he had some good news for me that my investments were not doing badly. In fact he said they were doing quite well. But, and as you well know there’s always a but, he stressed the need for me to keep on working. As if I needed to be reminded….

The other really good part of the trip to Thailand was that I missed out on all the violence in Karachi. I’d left Wednesday evening and Ms Bhutto arrived the following lunchtime. Seems two suicide bombs went off and over 135 people got killed with Lord knows how many injured. Sad day indeed. I was concerned for my safety in coming back here and made it a point to find out all I could about events. My source being Khalid. He did assure me things were OK. ‘All seemed to have calmed down again’ is what he told me in a most unconcerned tone. Well let’s wait till the next time!

I had while away not had much chance to do any writing on the computer and today I had given it only a passing thought as work took over and time flew by. When I was in the car on the way home I could think of little of interest to jot down but what do you know? Just as you think there is nothing of interest to write about we nearly drove up the back of an old taxi. Ouch!!! It was full, I mean full to the brim, bursting with people. So full they had to put the kids in the boot!!! I counted two people in the front plus the driver and 4 rather well build ladies in the back (I assume they were ladies under all the black cloth!!). Add in a couple of kids and, yes, put them in the boot or walk!!!

Seeing this I knew I was back in Karachi. I had a smile to myself as I realized I did have something to jot down after all. Then having settled in at home for the evening my phone rang. Shehzad. “How are you? How was the trip?” I explained a little about the fact we had no wind and not enough fuel. He seemed to understand my disappointment and sounded as sad about it all as me !! Its all (will be) on my Sail Blog. Just give me a few days.


http://www.sailblogs.com/member/lloyd/

Will catch up with him later in the week and give him the full story. So till next time.

No comments:

The secret to "Success" ..... is never, never, give up trying.